Wednesday, October 31, 2007

trick-or-treat.


Tonight was the premiere of the octopus.

A first decided that is what he wanted to be this year, with G soon wanting that as well. I sewed these costumes - and let me tell ya - making stuffed octopus costumes with stuffed headed hoods, stuffed tentacles, suckers, and hand holes was interesting. They weren't perfect - but hey, it was dark, it is for one night, they looked adorable!


It was a great choice though, as stuffed layers of fleece with hoods made for cozy costumes on a very cold and windy night. Just as we were getting ready to head out to start, one of A's best friends came by so we hurried to join them. Trick or treating with friends is just more fun...


...Until A is sprinting 2 houses ahead of everyone, G is sobbing on someones porch when they only give him ONE candy out of their bowl, and I then have to carry a 35 pound octopus the rest of the way home. BUT - they had a lot of fun, passed several friends along the way, saw lots of neighbors they know, and I'm amazed a 2 year old made it that long before just being too tired.




I couldn't get either one of the boys to be still long enough in a good position for a photo to do the costume justice - but they really did look CUTE! :)

Hope you all had a fun safe night.

9 comments:

tiff said...

Oh we got a good chuckle out of you carrying a 35lb octopus...giggle :)

Your octopus costumes are awesome...and your boys' look like they had a great trick or treat experience...pure joy!

Lizz said...

Cute. Good work Mama!

We had a sleeping baby and almost 4 year old when we came hom many hours later. Both were warm. My favorite thing was walking through the leaves.

GailV said...

Those costumes are adorable!

FREE RANGE ACADEMY said...

OH fantastic! You should send these to PZ at Pharyngula.

denise said...

Thanks for the nice words about the octopus costumes. They were very cute, even if I wondered today at how much time I spent sewing them for just 45 minutes of trick or treating time... :) Worth it just for the fun.

Jenn Lawlor said...

You're amazing Denise! What cute boys :)

denise said...

Humble, humble, humble. :) I love PZ's blog but didn't email him as you suggested since I don't know him - blah blah blah. I see my little octopus made an appearance!

FREE RANGE ACADEMY said...

I sent the link to him, but assumed he'd talk to you before posting them! Hope you didn't mind, they are priceless.

denise said...

Of course I don't mind. They did look very cute! :)

And my little guy who sooo wanted to be a marine biologist but was afraid everyone would mistake him for a scuba diver...and then said well, ok, I'll be a hatchetfish. Um. Ok, well, I'll be a gulper eel. Um. Wait!!! I want to be an OCTOPUS! YEAHHHHHH!!!!!

So he was very thrilled to see that he made an appearance on a site filled with cool ocean creatures and little octopus graphics. :)