Monday, October 08, 2007

Sprouting into...

Over the last week we have done a few "experiments" which we used in the kitchen when all completed...

The first was sprouting wheat. The boys each measured 1/4 cup of wheat berries into a bowl and covered with water, soaking overnight.

The next morning they put them in a strainer, rinsed well, and left them in the strainer over a bowl, covered with a clean cloth. They rinsed them 2-3 times per day for several days (or 100 times the first day, in their excitement), and watched them as they sprouted.

At first, it was tiny little filaments shooting out, and then the thicker piece. In just a few days they had sprouted wheat! They loved watching it and checking on it, and of course in the end we used some in the bread we baked!

A wanted to plant them out in the yard so that we could grow wheat--and of course he would need a combine harvester to collect it all when it grew...he knows just the model that would work!

The second experiment is making a wild yeast bread starter. But that is more for another day! ;)

No comments: