Monday, June 04, 2007

Old books.


One of my favorite things is collecting old books. Nothing like a first edition Henry Miller to make my day. I also love children's books. I have collected many great oldies over the years in my travels, but I also have a nice big bin of books from my own childhood. I keep many of them in plastic, to give to my kids when they are older (as we check them out from the library if we want to read them), but every once in awhile I get a craving to dig around and refresh my memory.

One book I dragged upstairs this week is "The Ice-Cream Cone Coot and Other Rare Birds" by Arnold Lobel.

I always loved the artwork and rhyme, and it has become A's favorite book this week. We have read it 100 times at the least, and he pores over every detail of each image over and over, to impress it into his memory. Although it is out of print, most libraries probably carry it - and it is worth looking for - the artwork is spectacular.

2 comments:

Bug's mom said...

I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks, now. I'm not even sure how I got here. Followed a link from a link, I suppose...ANYWAYS, I just wanted you to know that we ordered "The Ice-Cream Cone Coot and Other Rare Birds" from our library. It was waiting there for us today. We haven't read it yet, what with all the excitement from the tornado watch and getting sent to the library basement....

denise said...

It is a great book! :)

We were supposed to get those storms too, and were prepared for them, but they *just* missed us. Whew!