Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring?


I knew the warmth and sunshine were only teasers and that spring does not truly come for good in my part of the country in March. We always have a peek this time of year - a few warmer days and that bright gorgeous sunshine. We always enjoy what we can when it comes.

Today brought back March reality...but in the "winter of 2007/08" style. Snow, snow, snow, snow - about 8 inches so far today. Our average snowfall is 40-something inches per winter. In February we broke the previous all time record of 76.1". And today?? We might break the 100 inch mark for the season (last winter our total was 45")! And we always get snow in April. What a winter!


With the snow today came the return of the Juncos. We miss them when they are gone. They don't need us when it is clear and bright, but as soon as it snows they descend on our back deck in groups, twittering, chirping, clearing snow, and digging out the birdseed.

Now where is that shovel...

13 comments:

Cadi said...

How funny!

I see all these gorgeous, warm spring blogs everywhere, and here in Chicagoland it's just blah. Snowy-slushy-muddy. I was joking yesterday that my children may need to dig for their Easter eggs with snow shovels. Looks like yours will be doing the same thing?! :-) Bright blessings, Cadi

Teaching Handwork said...

our planet needs snow...let it snow.....bless the snow

Anonymous said...

oh, the juncos came back to our house today, too. when theo saw them at the feeder this morning, he said, "mama, i think those birdies are crying. look at all the snow!!" those birdies aren't the only ones...

World Wide Alternative said...

Awwwwwwww, you too?
I was just over at Claudia's & they are having the same kind of day!
I love your birdy shot & don't worry, under all that snow is SPRING!!! Xxx

Anonymous said...

Were you folks in that 7.5 foot storm? My dh was telling me about that this evening. Man oh manny--welcome to Spring!

Lizz said...

Oh my! It will come and when it does it will rush in like a torrential flood and seize you all up in it's glory and you won't be able to sit or stay indoors a moment longer.

Tara said...

It's almost hard to see the beauty in all the snow,but your pics are very pretty!
We're been blown about here in Maine- Frigid temps and WIND!!
My Mom always says snow late in the year is good fertilizer.

dawn klinge said...

All that snow will make it easy to hide the Easter eggs ;)

Ayla said...

sending you warm thoughts!

Anonymous said...

What a tease! And wearing white after Labor Day!

Maria said...

My deepest sympathy and condolences.

Cami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cami said...

Ugh, I feel for you... 8 inches? Unbelievable! I love that we're getting so much water for our area (or, rather, it WILL be water when it all melts) but, for me personally, my body really needs some warm weather and sunshine.