Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spring Crafts.


Today was a day full of creativity - crafts, books, cooking, writing. The boys have been really wanting to do our new seasonal crafts and change our white nature table to SPRING!

Yesterday we had painted a few eggs. We started with 2 plain wooden eggs. The boys sanded them a bit first to smooth them. They then took oil pastels and decorated and colored the wood. On top of that we used watercolors in blues, greens and golds to paint the eggs. After they dried I added a clear water based varnish.


Today was the day for our little flower people. We had wooden people pieces, tiny ceramic pots, acorn tops, felt, and some yarn and pipe cleaners. The boys really wanted to do it all, and so glued on the hats, glued on the capes (which I stitched to keep on), and helped me twist the pipe cleaners into arms to hold the pots. We even made little flowers to go in the pots.


They turned out so cute - the boys played with them in their gnome treehouse before carefully placing them on the nature table with the other things they had made.


The perfect addition to the table! As the boys get older the attention spans grow longer and on days like today their energy and enthusiasm just keeps on going!

12 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Those little people are so cute! We have some wooden eggs that I want to paint now after seeing how yours turned out.

Lizz said...

Spring fun for you...whoohoo!

Lora Maria said...

oh yeah. these are stellar cute. i love them. where do you get the little wooden people posts? i have always had to make them out of cut dowel and big round wooden beads.

Tara said...

You took a few simple things and made these amazing little people!! I can't tell from the picture what the wee hats are made from- they are adorable. Did you knit them??
You're well on your way to Spring!

Tara said...

Oops, you said in the post they are acorn tops- but they look like they have little pom poms on the end!!
Okay, I'm done now :)

Lisa Anne said...

I love the little root children, I really love those acorn caps! They are different from the one I find here in the East. I am always picking up acorn caps when I see them, my daughter gets especially embarrassed when I pick her up from someone's house and she sees me in their yard scavenging for them! She used to love it when she was 6, not now that she is 12, I will never leave kindergarten and Amelia just keeps getting older 8-(

denise said...

Tara - yep, pompon acorns too. I had seen on a few blogs people felting little acorns and gluing them into acorn tops. I am allergic to wool but had some pom pons, so the boys glued those into some remaining acorns to add as extra color and decoration! :)

They do look almost knitted or something - they are very smooth.

Lora - we found the wooden pieces at Michael's Crafts. I have seen a few places online with them as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are just the most darling little people! I'm so impressed with your boys' work!

Carrie said...

These are so fantastic! You are so creative.. what's your secret?? (smile)

I have thought of doing the ceramic eggs, but with the 2 year old, probably not the best idea. Never thought of wooden ones, will have to see if I can find a few, and copy yet another of your wonderful ideas.

Nature table? Could you describe this a bit more? Sounds rather intersting.

Spring is always a wonderful time of year, and sounds like you guys are off to a great start of enjoying it.

amanda said...

I really love these projects! And with such sweet results, too. I hope you don't mind that I linked to this post in my blog.

World Wide Alternative said...

Oh SWOOOOOON! Xxx

denise said...

Thanks everyone! :)

alatte4me2: A nature table is a table (or can be shelf or mantle) in our home which we use to display seasonal/holiday themes, and nature/natural items. It is a way for the kids to connect more with seasons and nature and the cycles of the year. Many people have artistic arrangements which include natural items such as seeds, leaves, plants, rocks...and then items which represent the seasons and/or holidays. Using color to reflect the seasons ties it all in together! Every one is so unique - there is no right or wrong way to do it.

Amanda at the Rowdy Pea just posted some links about spring nature tables - http://rowdypea.typepad.com/the_rowdy_pea/2008/03/some-spring-nat.html

:)