Friday, November 09, 2007

More Light.


One of my favorite Northern Exposure episodes was titled "Northern Lights." The darkness makes people in town a little loopy, and the end of the show has an art piece that one character has made. Everyone is light deprived (both literally and metaphorically), and he flips the switch and...Light. His speech:

"
Goethe's final words: "More light." Ever since we crawled out of that primordial slime, that's been our unifying cry, "More light." Sunlight. Torchlight. Candlelight. Neon, incandescent lights that banish the darkness from our caves to illuminate our roads, the insides of our refrigerators...Light is more than watts and foot candles. Light is metaphor. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Lead kindly light amid the encircling gloom, lead thou me on, the night is dark and I am far from home, lead thou me on...Light is knowledge, light is life, light is light."

I love fall and the cold of winter. The hard part is ... light. The switch of daylight savings time along with the encroaching darkness means our clocks get messed up when it seems 1 single hour should not make any difference. For me, I have always liked the darker evenings, lap blankets, good books read by lamplight. With kids that is all a bit different now, and this week has been particularly volatile. Bedtimes out of whack, need for naps changing, crankiness, bickering...all seem to combine as little bodies work to adapt to the early darkness, the cold. When snow comes cold has more purpose for little people. The transition can be hard - suddenly (it seems) hats, gloves, fleece/coats, warm pants...all necessary. And of course it is Wisconsin, meaning 10 days ago it was sunny and warm, followed by days in the 30's/40's with VERY windy days.

So, we cozy up inside a little more, expect the unexpected with sleeping and moods, and just take it easy and go with the flow as we adjust. Oh, that, and silly crazy dancing to great music, lots of Lego's, and reading books near the window whenever the sun comes out.

"More light."

4 comments:

Lizz said...

Great post!

My cure, as you, know is bonfires. lol

I used to love Northern Exposure and get it so well having lived in Yellowstone. Was it the artist guy...? I forget his name...he reminds me of my partner. I'll share his speech with him.

Thanks for sharing your world.

denise said...

That would be my cure too. BUT our yard is 18 feet wide house to house. We'd scare our neighbors with a bonfire! ;) I can't wait until we have more land though...definitely a fire pit on my list.

Yes, Chris in the Morning. When I first started watching I lived in New Mexico in a town of 200, 40 miles to closest grocery store. I know what you mean about "getting it". We still get it on DVD here and there just for the good philosophical artsy vibes. :)

Chole White said...

"The transition can be hard - suddenly (it seems) hats, gloves, fleece/coats, warm pants...all necessary."

Tell me about it. L has been refusing to wear her coat because (direct quote) "it's a *winter* coat mom & winter doesn't start until December 21. See it's right here on the calender". How do you argue with such logic?

Lizz said...

How about a chimnea Denise?