Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thursdays.


Thursday is our CSA pickup day. One of the things we really wanted when choosing a CSA was not only organic produce and a nearby location, but also having an on farm pickup. We used to have a wonderful CSA, but the pickup was in someones garage as the farm was pretty far away. I love the convenience, but having a farm that the kids can see and visit and experience is priceless, I think (especially when it is only 12 miles away!). I think of the things I remember from my childhood, and I hope this is one of those things lodged in the memories that make a part of who they become.

It has been pretty hot and sunny recently, so we have just been picking up our boxes, chatting with the boys favorite farm worker for a bit, and perhaps visiting the tractor or stomping in mud before getting back into the car to go home. Today was cloudy and cooler so we were able to get out and walk around.


We first walked out into a field to visit the turkeys. These guys are pastured American Bronze Heritage Turkeys. They get moved around a bit, and today they were at the far reaches of the fields. As we approached they all walked over to look at us. I think having a hundred or so turkeys staring at you en masse all fluffed up is disconcerting.


See what I mean? So I suggested that A sing them a song. He happily crooned and sang to them, and sure enough, at several key points to the song, in perfect unison, ALL of the turkeys spontaneously gabah-gabah-gabah'd along! Too fun.


From there we visited the hoop houses to see tomatoes, basil, peppers and drying onions. On the way home we stopped by a few farm stands as well to pick up some more goodies - and so the boys got to socialize a bit more before coming home. Always a good afternoon.

Tomorrow afternoon we are headed out to pickup a bushel (53#) of canning tomatoes and then to pickup our eggs. More fun - and lots of kitchen work this weekend to make sauces, salsas and other goodies with all the tomatoes. Yum!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Music hath charms...but that is way too many turkeys!

Anet said...

I love turkeys, they are kind of cute and yummy!
You have such a busy weekend coming up, good luck with your canning!

Lizz said...

We sing to the wild turkeys around here.

Anonymous said...

i love singing turkeys!

good luck with all the fun kitchen stuff.

Maymomvt said...

Canning tomatoes is on the agenda for us today. I just stew them for spag sauce though.

dawn klinge said...

That's so funny about the turkeys singing along! There's a fun book that I read to my daughter called The Great Turkey Walk....I never looked at turkeys the same way after that one.

Jodi Anderson said...

You really do have a great CSA.

woolladyfelter said...

This looks like a lovely CSA - that hoop house looks cool. We had turkeys two years ago and I hope they have them this year. Happy eating.

Barbara said...

A whole bushel of tomatoes, wow! I've been getting 25# boxes through my CSA farm and it's amazing how quickly I tear through those babies. Maybe I need to be getting two boxes at a time...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, and beautiful produce! I love your blog! Thanks!

Sharon said...

Can I come next time??? I love the turkey shot, it's gorgeous!

Tara said...

Beautiful CSA you have there. Turkeys freak me out! Not sure why, but they do. :-)
Good luck with the canning. I've been making homemade tomato basil soup and freezing it.