Monday, June 08, 2009

15 minutes.


You see, that is supposed to be my computer limit per sitting! 15 minutes. When I hurt my back at the end of March I couldn't sit at the computer for more than a few minutes (and needed help getting up). Once I started physical therapy, I was doing much better, but my PT told me 15 minutes max at a time. Then get up and walk around 15 minutes. It seemed kind of impossible...I have design projects, volunteer for a few local groups, have a website for local families, moderate a few groups, blog, & am starting an Earth Scouts group, blah blah blah. I had every single excuse (and TONS in my inbox). And of course other than checking email here and there, I am with my boys all day every day! My 'work' time is at night after they go to sleep. I would marathon sit at this computer from 8PM - 1+AM sometimes 7 nights per week to get all my work done (wonder how I hurt my back, hmmm?).

The funny thing is that my PT is right. I can't sit for too much longer than that - or I can't stand up from the chair! But I don't know about you, I can't get much done in 15 minutes. I'm just getting started! And it takes me 15 minutes to get back into whatever I stopped doing earlier! I spent weeks freaking out/stressing about this. Then I started doing only the 'important' must be done emergency stuff. And then I started doing ... well, I realized that if I wasn't at this computer as much my back didn't hurt as bad and I'm not so stiff or sore at the end of the day and could feel more improvement with the PT exercises. Ahem.

So the good from all this? I started re-learning to knit. Amazing how my carpal tunnel isn't so bad when I have less computer time and I can KNIT again! Woo hoo! I started organizing some ideas for writing projects. I started sketching again. Oh, and yes, I started spending more eves with my husband who also needed to not be working so late into the night. Much good from not so much sitting in this particular spot!

The not so good? I am not able to visit all of my favorite blogs as often! Many (most) days communicating even via comments is like a lifeline to inspiring and/or like minded mamas, and I miss that so much!! I do still visit and read blogs as much as I can, but I am not there at every post, commenting.  And I find I'm also skipping some of my own posts that have been brewing in my  head for days just because it is too much. So, not much garden chat  (although I have a TON of photos!), not many crafting posts, and not much rambling on here. But that is OK. I'm getting stronger and stronger every week and and just need to find a good balance for it all. I'll play catch up as I go along. But for now, its all good. Just pass the yarn. :)

24 comments:

Sheila said...

Denise,
I don't know if it would help you, but I have a big exercise ball that I can sit on to help with posture and back strain....but my little grandson thinks it is just a big toy. :) I was considering trying to balance on it and sew at the same time, but decided my coordination skills might not be that great. :)

Stephanie said...

ah, well.
get better, and knit every blogger you know something sweet, and we'll forgive you. ;) heehee

Sam said...

I'll miss you being around. I know what you mean about life line of like minded women.

Beachbum said...

Yarn and needles make everything better! Hope you heal quickly.

Lisa Anne said...

Take Care of yourself and enjoy your time away from the computer. I am somewhat in the same boat, not because of my back, but I only have about 15 minutes a day to quickly read blogs but not usually comment.
I hope this time away helps your back to heal and I agree with Sheila sitting on an exercise ball really is easy on the back.

Carin said...

I hear ya! I live with back pain too, and it has come back with a vengeance lately (too much PC time too lol), but the pain is a great wake up call to start listening to your body, learn your limitations and to take me time with crafts and family more seriously.

Lisa said...

Denise, I am so happy to hear your back is improving!!! I was just thinking about you the other day, when my back was acting up. This break from the computer is a good thing, even if us blog friends miss you! Take care and I look forward to hearing from you when you can!! Sometimes things happen for a reason...

Anonymous said...

yes, balance is the key. i'm so glad you're getting better and feeling stronger and learning to knit again and spending more time with your husband...

i've recently discovered that i simply cannot spend as much time on the computer as i used to and foound it necessary to prioritise...it's all working out for the better. one thing i've been doing more of is writing in my journal, which as it turns out is really helpful in prioritising.

best to you and your back

Dawn said...

I like Stephanie's idea ;)

Good for you for listening to the experts...we should all follow your lead :)

Catch ya later!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful sea change for you. Eat it up and have no worries! And welcome to Ravelry! ;)

Michelle said...

Denise,
Have you tried sitting on an exercise ball instead of a chair. The extra movement could help strengthen and re-align your back muscles and keep your spine in a good position.

Beverly said...

the silver lining of the whole thing could be less time spent at the computer. i'm aiming for that, too. get well soon!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Denise,

I have been spending less time commenting as well, but not because of my back. It is because of everything else I have to do.
I look at my favorite blogs, but comment less often than I used to.

You have even greater reason. You are with your boys, you must protect your back and your hands, and now . . . knitting! The yarn looks positively delicious!

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

No wonder you've been Twittering so much -- you can do a lot of 140 character posts in 15 minutes :-)

Certainly pain trumps blogging. It's hard to remember sometimes that people do read without commenting....

I'm glad to hear your back is improving and you're knitting and having time with hubby...even if we must miss you!

Fanny Harville said...

My dad does his computer work at a standing desk to stave off back pain and swears by it.
Good luck in your recovery!

Pussnae said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying knitting again. I do hope your back is better soon-I know it's terrible to have back pain. I get it the most when I'm sitting too (it's the worst when I'm driving). I'll miss your not so frequent blog posts but glad you're taking good care of yourself.

Joy said...

I like Stephanie's idea too. We've missed you lately, but I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. Might we see a knitted project or two at some point? :)

Tara said...

I figure when folks are away from their blog they must be having a lot of fun or be incredibly busy doing important things.... taking care of your back is incredibly important!

I'll take a pair of socks....(teasing) :0)

Tan Family said...

You are so right...getting off the computer makes knitting and crocheting much easier! Thanks for the reminder. I love your blog and I will start following it. :) --Jennifer www.syrendell.blogspot.com

dawn klinge said...

I'm glad your back is slowly improving. Sometimes life just makes that balance that we need happen- whether we like it or not. ;) Take care of yourself, and enjoy that time to knit.

TheOrganicSister said...

I'm SO there. There are certain places I have to sit when I do use the computer and I'm constantly moving or adjusting. I've found the laptop in the kitchen is great - I can go between sitting on a stool to standing at the counter if necessary. But things have been neglected and I miss connecting. I try to steal moments where I can throughout the day but it's just as you described, getting into something just as I need to move. Glad to hear you're feeling stronger!

~Tara

Anonymous said...

Denise,
We live in the madison area also could you please share where you were able to purchase such a awesome knitting nancy?
Thanks Tanya

denise said...

Thanks everyone. I've been missing 'chatting' via comments and reading about adventures and projects. I try to catch up on reading every weekend or so, but then feel behind!!! :)

I used to sit on a ball - thanks for the rec. I have to do the pelvic core therapy first, and then have another appt. to check on progress and will be 'released' to sit more, start a PT guided pilates, and other things for the lower back support. At that point I can sit on a ball! I think it will help.

Tara - Oh, it is hard - I hope you are feeling better. I wish I could stand at the counter, but I'm 6' tall so they are tooooo low. I know you have been having a hard time with it all too - hope the massage and acupuncture help...it has worked really well for me every other time I've had problems.

Fanny - yes! I had to stand most of the day for many weeks, and tried typing on top of the armoire...my husband spoke of a few software dev. companies that have only standing workstations because it is better for the back!

Oh, and although I'd love to knit socks and more for my blogger friends, at this point you wouldn't want anything that required a pattern from me! He he.

anthromama - yes, I've been twittering more. It is nice because I can 'chat' in small bits and not even have to be at my computer! ;)

Tanya - I found all of our knitting nancie's at Hobby Lobby. I was surprised to find them there...they have various sizes in wood and plastic, as well as the little spinny one the boys like. My husband has been working on the wooden one lately - good for his carpal tunnel! :D

Goodness said...

Just found your blog and love it! So sorry to hear about your back. Hope you recover quickly.