Monday, April 11, 2011

weekending ... kitchen catch up.


While we don't really need to treat weekends differently than weekdays we do love having Brice (my husband) home so it does make weekends special. The boys have always been 150% during the day and fall asleep early kids, and so don't get a lot of time with their dad in the evenings during the week. And my husband works a lot. So weekends we try to do *at least* one family thing to spend time together - a park, a lake, a museum, a walk, a small town treat. And we try to always have home time so Brice can relax and just hang out with his boys. He needs that down time and they need that dad time. That is usually my time to get stuff done in the kitchen...


So while the boys are playing at the park or riding bikes or building radio kits or flying kites or playing Pokémon or board games or just snuggling and reading books with dad I play mad scientist.


This weekend we had a home day on Sunday - and it was HOT outside! We did a lot of deck clean up and yard work, and then the boys spent the afternoon outside with Brice while I caught up on some things. Catching up for me includes things like baking, bottling a batch of kombucha, soaking something or other, making almond milk, making yogurt cheese, or attempting to organize the pantry after a week of boys rummaging through it. ;)


And lately of course it also includes starting more seedlings, checking trays, and hardening trays off to go out. In the summer it usually means canning and preserving.


By Sunday evening I am usually happy to be out of the kitchen (and the garden).


And have something to show for it.


.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

mmmmmmmmm-mm. that's pretty.

we have dirty toes to show for our day. :)

denise said...

YayyyY!!!! Today we do too - A had so much dirt under his nails he freaked out a bit! My soles are still stained, even though I scrubbed them and took a shower. :) Happy barefoot garden digging visiting worms planting peas raking out lumps. Ahhhhh. I love that! :)

Andrea said...

Oh, whatever that is, it looks SOOOOO good. And your seedlings are impressive. It is such a good feeling to have spring here and be outside more. Dirty feet are welcome:)

Tara said...

Warm, sunny weekends are just the best! We tend to stay close to home now and immerse ourselves in outside projects too.

Your corner of the world is blooming and lovely!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Hooray for spring and warmer weather!!!
I feel kind of clueless but what is kombucha? For some reason I thought it was a sort of mushroom...?

The warmer weather was certainly a treat on Sunday! Thankfully all nasty storms went around our area and completely missed us. How about the Madison area?

I'd better get a jump on planting seeds! Every year I start them too soon....and this year I may be starting them a little late! LOL!

Ceska777 said...

Strudel?????

denise said...

Ceska - It is like a strudel, but a lazy moms pastry version of it. ;) I use the recipe for a jam poly dough, and roll in fruit I simmer with honey/spices and bake. My husband likes having kaffeeklatch on the weekends, so it is good because not too sweet.

Astrid - yep, you are right. Kombucha tea is like a fermented tea using a mushroom culture. It helps my allergies! We did get some heavy storms, but luckily the big hail and tornadoes went north...although not so lucky for the people north. Big ones!

Emme said...

I am jealous of your kombucha tea. I would love to get some starter from you (when we next visit your area), if possible!

I'm glad that you could enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend. It looks like we may have a chance of snow this next weekend. :(

Francesca said...

It's nice to have a day to catch up with the kitchen work and everything else (that fits in that day!). I also tend to do more cooking on Sundays - try out new recipes, more baking etc.

Shady Lady said...

Weekends are different, aren't they? Sounds like you have a lot of fun in the kitchen. I think you and I might get along quite well! Except for the baking part. LK handles the baking...mostly.

denise said...

Bonni - :) I like baking, but do it really only in the winter. I really like making our own bread. But I don't often bake sweet stuff. Special treats. :)

Emme - We should coordinate the next time you are in town ... I still really would like to buy some smoked fish if any is left. And I have several scoby to spare. :)

Melissa said...

I've been wanting to try making kombucha for some time, but I admit that it scares me a little.