Monday, April 04, 2011

6 year old wisdom.


We usually avoid crowds like the plague, but this weekend we knew we wanted to zip into the main exhibit area at the science fair early just to see the robotics tables before going off to explore the more quiet campus buildings. As we picked our way through the loud central space we passed a gravel bed with large rocks, green plants, and speakers playing odd pings and chimes. I turned and saw G in the middle up on the rock, in the lotus position, fingers gently touching thumbs, eyes closed. Brice looked at me and asked if I said something that made him go up there. Um, no.

"I just remembered it...from before" he says.

He always tells me things he remembers 'from before'. Always things I need to remember too. Like when you are feeling overwhelmed, meditating helps you quiet the chatter and noise and find your center. I only meditate after everyone else is asleep, late at night, the house quiet. But he knows. From before.

.

16 comments:

mamaraby said...

So sweet! My six year old reminds me that I don't have to go out to a yoga studio in order to do yoga.

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

I really think that there is a before that our littles can easily access, more so than we can understand. My children have talked about things like this...they just know. Not sure how, but in the times they need something specific..they just know.

:)Lisa

Francesca said...

That's incredible, and a little scary at the same time.

se7en said...

I just love that!!! Clever boy!!!

sarah said...

Oh, I needed to hear this today. I'm like you, Denise, saving meditation for the sliver of quiet at the end of the day. But why not use it when I need it most, in the middle of chaos? Thank you, G, for this bit of wisdom!

Lisa said...

Binky has done exactly the same thing. Sat down and meditated out of nowhere. They definitely know. And I hope they never forget!!!!!

ali said...

This is lovely! What a smart kiddo!

mb said...

really cool! my kiddo talks about "before i was quinn" quite often. i think most kids have this kind of awareness of before, until they're "taught" it doesn't work that way. but i think it does. parents who are open to hearing/seeing it, hear it and see it. :)

Shady Lady said...

That is beautiful!! Meditation is something that I strive for, but have never been able to achieve. At least not on a regular basis. I need to figure that out. Thanks to you and G for the reminder. :)

lisbonlioness said...

What a kid... what an amazing kid! I am not spiritual at all, but little things ike this make me question wether I should be, as your post sends shivers down my spine. Not in a "Little Buddha" kind of way, but it sure makes me wonder if there is stuff I should remember.

Flo said...

what a cool kid. I like his style!

Helena said...

Oh, Denise. This is beautiful. It's true—so much of our own lives resonate through our children. Like we're all strings, vibrating…

This post made me so happy! Thank you.

Debbie said...

I also meditate in the wee hours of the night - when everything is quiet and I can find 30 minutes or so to be still. We also started doing a little practice as a family, at Isaac's bedtime and it has been lovely for cultivating the togetherness of our family and modeling connectedness to the devine (or whatever your beliefs are). What a wise little man G is. xo

Stephanie said...

I remember him doing that a few weeks ago... it's awesome that he sees a spot, and just "remembers it from before". :)
He knows a spot just for him, and knows what to do.
Sweet boy.

denise said...

Stephanie - Oh, that is right! He was talking about the other family, before, when I was the other mother. 8-}

Stacy (Mama-Om) said...

So nice that he knows this about/for himself.