Friday, April 02, 2010

gettin' dirty.


With these warm (hot!) days we have been outside every moment. While we have had plenty of time for playgrounds, parks, and nature walks, we have also spent a lot of time at home, in our yard. It feels SO GOOD to get outside in the warm sun with bare feet to dig, to rake, and get our hands and feet dirty.


All of this warmth and sunshine means the soil is warm (for now) and things are growing. Spinach, greens, chives, garlic, parsley and more are peeking up.


While we know we will be getting some cold wet weather again, we still started some early spring goodness this week. We chose the sunniest sheltered plot with the lightest soil (which had a lot of bunny compost worked in).

We planted radishes, mustard greens, early peas, lettuce mixes, mâche, and spring onions. While raking and planting in our rich soil the birds visited us - robins following close behind, pecking away so close we almost reach out and could touch them. They don't seem to worry about us when there is freshly turned earth to explore.


While working and playing in the garden we have been noticing all of the buds - lilac, currants, raspberries - so much happening, so much to see, even in our little yard.


Here in Wisconsin early 'spring' is mostly just a concept as we are often still cold and snow covered. But this week we have been given a real glimpse, and have enjoyed every minute of it.

6 comments:

unschool said...

So beautiful! I love seeing what is growing in everyone's various locales.

Theresa said...

Me too, lovin' the garden. Come see we have a giveaway!

n said...

You have a lovely garden! I love to have my hands in dirt too! The weather was so nice yesterday, so I had it !

Francesca said...

Look how well your garden is doing already! I'm beginning to wonder whether we'll ever get any spring weather in my part of the world :(

Maiz said...

Your hands look just like mine :)
My nails are cracked and dirty, and I'm loving it. I can peek out of the bathroom window at all of those little babies growing out there, and it is so fun.

Maiz said...

Your hands look just like mine :)
My nails are cracked and dirty, and I'm loving it. I can peek out of the bathroom window at all of those little babies growing out there, and it is so fun.