Tuesday, March 17, 2009

wearing of the green.


Well, while we did not wear green today, we are surrounded by green. Spring is just around the corner and we have living green things on counters, windowsills, tables and racks.


The windowbox tomatoes we started in January are getting bigger.


Mung bean sprouts are just about ready - I know what I'll be having for lunch tomorrow.


Sunflower sprouts are getting going (tasty treat) and the arugula is almost ready to snip for a salad.


And in the basement, the tiniest seedlings are peeking their heads up - growing growing growing! I love starting seeds. It does take a little attention over a few months, but it is so worth it.

For those of you who are starting seeds for the first time this year - here are a few good resources to keep you moving along! :)

>>Book: Gardening from Seed: The Keys to Success with Flowers and Vegetables - Martha Stewart. Good photos showing you the actual seed starting process and supplies.

>> Blog: Simple, Green, Frugal Co-op:: Easy & Inexpensive Seed Starting System.

>>Podcast: Garden Girl TV:: Indoor Gardening #1 | #2 | #3

After a few days of warmth and sun we have cooler (and wetter) weather on its way. With this cold bug we are actually looking forward to some gray wet days so that we can cozy up inside and recover completely. So even as the real spring arrives (sun and 70ยบ does not feel like spring to us - cool and WET does!), we have plenty of green inside, and weeks of new seedlings to start as we go!

23 comments:

TCallihan said...

That tomato plant looks very healthy! Here's to a fabulous harvest for your family this year. It looks as if everything is off to a great start!

brianna said...

*pinches you* :)

I've never had mung beans, how do you prepare them?

Crescent Moon said...

I think those little eggshell people are really cute! I have some eggshells saved up to try that project for the first time, we just haven't gotten past the cleaning and saving eggshells stage yet.

Pussnae said...

Thanks for listing the seed starting resources. We tried starting seeds last year and it didn't work out so well. . .we're trying again this year. I need all the help I can get!

dongdong said...

THANK YOU! I so needed that. Those plants and seedlings are just darling.

Tara said...

Everything looks great - lush and green and growing!!!

Our little starters are beginning to pop up... the mesclun looks good but the naughty kitty keeps eating it all - LOL...

Get well soon you guys!!

Joy said...

Your gardening posts are so inspiring!

dawn klinge said...

This is my first year that I'll be starting seeds- that is if they ever arrive in the mail. :) That was my first lesson learned. Next year, I won't wait until February to order seeds. Thank you for the links to the different resources about seed starting. I love the little egg creatures...so cute!

Sara said...

Oh I am loving all your green. And I enjoy Garden Girl too... just found her not long ago.

Anonymous said...

The green you wear really is green.

Dawn said...

Go little seeds go!!

Those egg men are hilarious!!

:)

Anonymous said...

Your plants are looking so beautiful. I wish I had sunny enough windows to do a windowbox anything. Well, I can do indoor plants but that's about it.

Oh, I tagged you for a Green Meme. Aren't you so excited? ;)

~Tara

Anet said...

Noah and I started seedlings yesterday.
We are experimenting with radish seeds... we soaked them in different food colors, dried them and planted them. We want to see if it will make any changes in the plants. They are already peeking out of the soil, in one day!
We've cleaned out the garden beds too! I'm ready:)
I hope your family is feeling better soon.

Heather said...

Oh my, your photos and your seedlings are just so gorgeous!! Isn't it lovely to have some greenery around indoors at this time of year to remind us that soon...soon there really will be green outdoors again?

jk said...

Inspiring! Thanks for the great seed starting links...

Anonymous said...

i nominated you for an award!

Dawn Suzette said...

Wonderful green inspiration! Love that basement shot!

Tracy said...

I haven't met anyone else who sprouts and eats mung(moong). So cool! I always love when the sprouts get those little tails going. My only downside is that my current batch of moong came from my MIL in India, and about 1/3 of them are complete duds, so I have to sort the non-sprouts from the sprouts before cooking.

RunninL8 said...

I know what we're doing tomarrow!!!! yay Spring! Even though we won't see signs of it for awhile!

Zachary and Jennifer said...

Being surrounded by green on St. Patricks Day is even better than wearing green.
Cute egg people!

Jennifer

Lizz said...

Yummy looking sprouts, all of them! I especially like to sniff the tomatoes.

STEPHANIE. said...

wow, you cature great photos!

Gwen Buchanan said...

You greens make my heart sing Denise.. Can't wait for the soil to be ready to turn...
We just finished up some mung sprouts ourselves and last night put lentils to soak in a bowl.. they sure taste like spring and freshness...