This time of year is about moving as much as it is also about pulling in and slowing down for the dark cold winter. With two boys we have to keep moving, no matter the weather!
Both A and G have a lot of energy and love being active. For us that means that while we do still like to get outside in the winter, a lot of what we do is inside (it gets cold in WI in winter!). The challenge is to find a fun variety of things to keep it interesting without taking up much space in our small house. We do have some out of the house action - A has karate a few times a week and both boys take a private dance class together weekly. We also have many other ways to go go go right here at home.
- We have a small exercise trampoline in the living room.
- The boys love the yoga ball for balancing, jumping, and tricks.
- We have table tennis and electronic darts.
- We love active games like twister or wii sports.
- We have been known to rollerblade in the dining room and sometimes pull out a futon in the living room for gymnastics extravaganzas.
- Of course I can't leave out daily dancing to loud music. Every day!
- The boys have wooden crossbow and bow & arrow sets and a felt target for the front door.
- We try to get outside for a walk or to a park whenever the weather is do-able, even if for a short time.
- If it ever snows (!) we will be outside sledding and playing in that too!
- We have rings to mount in an archway (I just need the anchors!)
This month the boys decided they wanted to do a 30 day wiiFit challenge, and so the 4 of us are doing 30 minutes a day each of yoga, balance training, strength training or cardio. It feels good to get moving even when it is blech outside - and it is a necessity when our winters can be so long.
What do you do in the winter to keep moving and active? What is your favorite in the house get moving activity?