Wednesday, May 05, 2010

corner view:: garden


I have missed a few corner views lately, and with a garden theme this week, I knew I had to jump back in.


We have had an 'early spring' this year in our part of Wisconsin. Not much rain, but a lot of warmth and sunshine. So much is green, blooming and weeks ahead of normal.



We have been cutting greens from outside for a while now already - mesclun, spinach, rocket. Radishes, beets, carrots and peas have been succession planted, so we'll have them for long while. With all the warmth we are also seeing currants, raspberries, and strawberries!


The rhubarb is looking quiet lovely. I can't wait for fresh rhubarb and strawberry something-or-other for dessert!


A lot of herbage is up - lemon balm, borage, lovage, mint, parsley, chives. The tulips have already passed peak, and the lilacs are in full bloom. They smell so amazing, I often find myself standing near the bush, just inhaling.


While I understand the gardeners love of fancy flowers, I love herbs, fruit and vegetables. To find so much grace and beauty in that which nourishes and sustains us draws me in, and I could wander all day staring at the flowers of arugla going to seed, or the blossoms on a squash vine.


We of course have hundreds of seedlings still going inside, to be transplanted out after 'last frost', and some things are just being started in trays this week like all of the squash.


Ms. Hunka Bianca, our angora rabbit, has been loving her special turnip greens treat every morning - those are about done for the season, but we have many more greens for her to enjoy throughout the summer too. Munch, munch.




I can't wait to see what is growing in all of the other corner views - I am definitely a garden fan. Be sure to visit Spain Daily for the grand list of links, or check out Joyce who is substitute host this week!

14 comments:

Joyce said...

Love all the garden shots. I can even see the bunnie's teeth on the last photo. Very neat! xo

Don said...

Rockin' Rabbit!!

Stephanie said...

Suh-weet.
It's always so divine to go out every morning and see what's new, isn't it? :)

Isabelle said...

lilac ... I love it and it smells so good !!

se7en said...

I just love watching your garden grow!!! Hope you have a fun weekend!!!

Ann Flower said...

What a unique treasure! I love it dirt and all!! gardening is one of my biggest passions. Enjoyed it very much.

;) said...

I'm glad to see you like this corner... Your photos are beautiful ! It's a magic garden, with a strange and cute rabbit !

Francesca said...

I don't think I've ever seen white lilac: ours is, well, lilac! Your garden shots are lovely.

denise said...

Thank you for your nice comments everyone. And we do have quite the rabbit, for sure. She is sweet with attitude, which seems to be a requirement for this family. ;)

Francesca - I mostly see purple lilacs too, although I have found white, pink, and striped (those were amazing). The white lilacs I have grow only half of my regular lilac bush...and even smell a little different!

denise said...

Stephanie - That is my favorite thing. We all wander out early in the morning, say hi to the birds, chat at the chipmunk, see what is growing, pick goodies for the rabbit. Dirty feet first thing in the morning is good. :)

Anne Marie said...

I too jumped back in this week. Visit Chez D's blog for a delicious recipe for your rhubarbs.

Bree said...

wauw!
your garden looks great!

Tara said...

What a bounty your garden is offering up so early!

The lilacs here should be ready this weekend, just in time for Mother's Day. That bunny is so sweet :0)

flower Philippine said...

Oh! I love those beautiful flowers so colorful. I also try to collect flowers and put it in a cute vase. I enjoyed reading your article. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.


-pia-