Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse.


We have a very puny telescope, but with a moon so big and bright on a clear night, we had a great view. We could see light and shadow, mountains and craters.


The boys love looking through the telescope to see the moon, and A was so excited about the lunar eclipse.


Both boys did fall asleep after a bit, and somehow, just as it was time for the last of the blackness to creep across the shining sliver remaining, A woke up and came in to watch.


I stayed inside to photograph the moon, since it is -5ºF right now. Well, actually I did try to step out at the very end, but the door was frozen shut, so I figured that was a sign. To stay inside. Warm. I kind of like my reflected view of the moon though - achieved by taking photos through double pane glass.

13 comments:

tiff said...

WOW...so cool. It is cloudy here...with some sprinkling of the wet stuff...not the white stuff...UGH!

i giggled when I read that it was -5F...and that you should stay inside where it is warm.

love the reflective moon pic.

Lizz said...

We watched it and were in awe. Glad you guys caught it.

Anne said...

Wow....great photos!
We had a lunar eclipse over this side of the world last year. We sat in the backyard and watched it. It was cold but not as cold as it was for you guys.

Stacie said...

We missed it. Now I'm bummed. I'm glad you got to see it,and that you stayed warm!

Tara said...

Thanks for including the great pics of the eclipse- I knew it was happening but it slipped my mind. I will be sure to show Owen your post though!

Me said...

What great pictures! I wish it happened this summer, instead of on one of the coldest nights this month. The wind alone made me run outside, and run right back in.

dawn klinge said...

That was fun to watch last night. You got some great photos. I'm going to post some on my blog today also.

Maria said...

Beautiful pictures Denise!!

Ayla said...

great pics! it was bit too cloudy here for us to get a good look but I really felt the vibe of the eclipse and i feel like we've broken through to another side of reality :)

Nissa said...

I'm so jealous! Our view was terrible, thanks to the thick clouds.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I am glad you took such cool pictures because we only got a brief glimpse just as it became complete. We had clouds roll in yesterday, and woke up to snow on the ground this morning.

But, I will say, it is nowhere near minus 5 hear. It is just barely freezing.

Keep warm!

World Wide Alternative said...

Just beautiful...Xxx

Teaching Handwork said...

I love Eclipses, fantastic!